After reading about the benefits of applying green tea and antioxidant vitamins to the skin after exposure to UV rays, I decided to devise my own aftersun (or anytime) antioxidant spray. I’ve been using my custom green tea/vitamin c/vitamin e blend for several months now and it works great! Even though I rarely get burned, every once in a while I overdo it a bit and get pink. When this happens, I always spray on liberal amounts of my antioxidant solution, and it provides quick recovery from my burn! Of course, I spray it on whether I get sunburned or not, because I want to give my skin all the nutrition I can.
The reason I chose to use green tea and vitamins e and c in my solution is that they all provide researched benefits. Several studies, looking at both rat and human skin, found that after exposure to the sun or artificial UV rays, topically applied green tea reduces inflammation and can even reduce the incidence of skin cancer. Green tea contains powerful polyphenols that protect green tea plants from UV damage and provide a number of benefits to humans as well.
Other plants use vitamin C and Vitamin E to protect their cells from UV damage. One study using a vitamin C and Vitamin E solution found that when applied to the skin daily, it provided progressive protection from sunburn and UV damage.
With all these benefits, it’s surprising that there aren’t many antioxidant sprays out there. Thankfully, it’s easy to make an antioxidant solution at home.
Here’s what you’ll need: an 8 oz spray bottle, vitamin C powder, green tea, water, and liquid vitamin E.
- First brew an extra potent cup of green tea (with about 7 oz of water). Use 4 tea bags of green tea or 8 grams of loose green tea. Steep in hot water for about four minutes, then drain. You can also grind the green tea extremely finely with a coffee grinder, shake it with 7 oz of warm water and then filter the water with a french press.
- Pour the green tea solution into your spray bottle.
- Grind 4 grams of vitamin C into very fine powder using a coffee grinder (i’ve used both tablets and powder – powder works best), then add to the spray bottle.
- Add a teaspoon of Liquid vitamin E to your spray bottle.
- After all the ingredients are added, shake the spray bottle vigorously to mix
- Use liberally every day, especially after exposure to the sunshine!
Originally posted 2013-06-02 02:57:29.