Whether you’re planning a gluten-free dinner or a sweet Valentine’s date, this dinner is the perfect way to show someone you care! Treating the eggplant just right takes a little time, but truly helps this eggplant parmigiana stand out among the rest. All the breaded goodness with no gluten and no frying–what’s not to love?!
Makes 4 servings
1 large eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
2 C almond meal
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp thyme
1 tbsp basil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 eggs, beaten
Tomato pasta sauce, jarred or homemade
1 ½ cups mozzarella, shredded
- Place eggplant slices in a colander (which can drain in the sink or on a towel). Press down on the slices with a paper towel, and let sit to remove as much moisture from the eggplant as possible.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coating. In a bowl good for dipping eggplant slices, mix together the almond meal, rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper. In a second bowl good for dipping eggplant slices, whisk the egg(s) until slightly beaten.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and prepare a lightly oil a 9×13 baking dish.
- One by one remove the eggplant slices from the strainer and press dry with a clean dishcloth or paper towel, then dipping each one into the egg, and then the almond meal mixture. Place the breaded slices in the baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until browned, flipping once.
- After eggplant is browned, pour your favorite pasta sauce (ours is made with roasted garlic!) into the baking pan. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, or until sauce is heated through and cheese is browned.
Originally posted 2013-02-01 09:00:00.